Praise be to Allah,
The South African section of the Mohammed VI Foundation of African Oulema organized a scientific seminar on the theme of common religious constants: the foundations of the components of the African identity, on 25 and 26 Shawwal 1440 H corresponding to 29 and 30 June 2019 in Pretoria.
Hence, several scholars and professors from both the Republic of South Africa and the Kingdom of Morocco participated with interventions that met the themes of the conference through an opening and closing sessions, and four scientific ones.
Topics of the Conference:
The interventions of the scholars discussed the following topics:
- Common African Religious Constants
- The Effect of the Sunni Schools of Jurisprudence in reenforcing Peace and Compassion
- The Objectives of the Asha’ari & Maturidi Creed and the Role of These Two Creeds in the Protection of Humanity and Development
- Sunni Sufism and its Effect on the Spiritual Growth for African Communities
Recommendations of the Conference:
In accordance with the requirements of the participants, the following recommendations agreed on are as follow:
- Take into consideration the characteristics of African contextual needs and practices in educational and da’wah programmes.
- Establish commonalities that seek to promote Islam amongst local African Muslims.
- Facilitate the provision of Thorough Scholarship Programmes: Short Term Imamah Courses and Full Aalim Courses.
- Organise Annual programme to Revive Islam amongst believers.
- In collaboration with the SABMC, GSC and related stakeholders; establish Institute of Learning, schools and Darul-Ulooms to teach Islamic Sciences and Religion Constants through Online and Distance Learning.
- Integrate the Teaching of Religion Constants into the Islamic Studies Syllabus.
- Give opportunities for Female Scholars to partake in all Muasassah programmes.
- Publish the outcome of the seminar in Arabic and English so everyone can benefit from the discussions.
- Establish a Council that comprises of Scholars from all four schools of Fiqh and legal representatives to deal with cases related to Marriage, Divorce, Maintenance, Custody and Inheritance.
- Promote love, peace and compassion to grow Islam in South Africa.
- Strengthen spiritual moderation to unite the Ulama from the Sunni school of thought (Al-Asharri, Maturidi and Al-Hadith scholars)
With Allah’s Mercy and Guidance, these will come to fruition.